SJVA Aviation History
- August, 2011: Start of SJVA’s Aviation Club. Middle and high school Aviation Club continues to be offered each week since its inauguration.
- August, 2013: Aviation Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematic (STEAM) projects implemented into 7th grade mathematics classes
- June, 2014: Start of SJVA’s Summer Aviation Academy. The Summer Aviation Academy continues to be offered each summer
- August, 2015: Hired an aviation professional consultant, Tom Evans (Certified Flight Instructor – Instrument, Airline Transport Pilot, Airframe & Powerplant mechanic) to teach, mentor, and advise the program.
- November, 2016: SJVA started attending AOPA High School Aviation Symposium. Staff has attended the last three of the four symposiums offered. Seattle, Washington (2016), Forth Worth, Texas (2017), Louisville, Kentucky (2018)
- August, 2017: First SJVA staff member certified with a California Aviation Designated Subjects Credential
- March, 2017: SJVA received University of California / California State University approval to teach Aviation 1: Ground as a college prep / Career Technical Education elective course
- August, 2017: SJVA offered its first Career Technical Education (CTE) aviation course – Aviation 1: Private Pilot Ground. A total of 20 Students enrolled for Aviation 1 with 5 being female and 15 male.
- September, 2017: SJVA received and started using Precision Flight Control’s Advanced Aviation Training Device.
- April, 2018: SJVA received University of California / California State University approval to teach Introduction to Aviation as a college prep / Career Technical Education elective course
- August, 2018: SJVA offered Introduction to Aviation. A total of 47 students enrolled with 10 females and 37 males. Offering both Introduction to Aviation and Aviation 1, SJVA now has a Career Technical Education Pathway that students can complete.
- November, 2018: SJVA purchased six first person view racing drones and starting a racing drone club.
- February, 2019: Second SJVA staff member received a California Aviation Designated Subjects Credential
- February, 2019: SJVA received University of California / California State University approval to teacher Aviation 2: Flight
- June, 2019: SJVA received 5 Redbird Jay Velocities to add to its flight simulation lab.
- July, 2019: SJVA’s first student, Isaiah Alford, took and passed the FAA Private Pilot Knowledge Exam.
- December, 2019: SJVA was awarded American Airlines Flight Grant to be used to fund student flight training opportunities.
- June, 2020: Third SJVA staff member certified with a California Aviation Designated Subjects Credential
SJVA is a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization